Is Google facing Hacking Threat?
Sounds interesting doesn't it? But they have a valid reason .I use Gmail,Blogger and Adsense daily and if these services are hacked, I'm gone!
It has been observed that a mass-mailing worm named Googbot is circulating in the wild. It propagates by exploiting software vulnerabilities.
The worm has its own SMTP engine to send mass e-mails. It harvests the e-mail addresses from the infected system and sends malicious e-mails to the collected addresses. The e-mail body contains a malicious link which entice the users to click upon using social engineering technique.
The e-mail contains the following :
Subject : (any of the following)
- Someone has sent you a Private Message!
- You have just recieved a NEW message!
- You have (1) NEW messages!
Body : (any of the following)
- You have just recieved a new Google Message!
- You can view your message here: http://www.google.com/gmsgid=4289472
- Note: If you do not already have Google Message Viewer installed, you will be prompted to install it.
And to add Google AdSense website has gone down at around 10:30am GMT today.Neither the AdSense blog nor the Official Google Blog has any detail of it
Thanks Amit for a great post on How to backup your blogger blog which has helped me to deal with this situation